Saturday, May 21, 2011

Tapas and topless with the Spaniards

I promised you more juicy details about Spain. No problema!
To fuel up for the day we walked down to La Boqueria, just as Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi used to, and meandered through huge carcasses hanging from the ceiling and fresh sparkling fruit lined up for what seemed like miles. I avoided the huevos del toro (bull testicles) and cows' heads with eyeballs still intact.

But I marveled at the pounds of chocolate, nuts and spices. One of the fruit drinks was calling my name. "Hola, Kerri! Yo la bebida perfecto en al del mundo." I chose pitahaya, because it was the one name I didn't recognize. There's no vacation like one where you eat and drink things before you know what they are, right? It was amazing -- fresh, sweet and juicy!

A vendor called us over to demonstrate his fancy kitchen utensil. He was rapidly explaining, in Spanish, of course, how to slice and dice potatoes, carrots and cucumbers with a quick flick of the wrist. He was a smooth salesman until his accidental finale when he cut (or completely chopped off!) the tip of his finger. He started bleeding all over his vegetables. Needless to say he lost the sale and he ran away to get a Bandaid.

Next stop: Port Vell.

We headed down to Barcelona's waterfront harbour and then straight to the beach to dip our toes in the Mediterranean Sea for the first time ever. It was cold!

It was in the 70's though so we hung out to soak up some sun. A quick look around told me Spaniards don't appreciate tan lines.
 
A woman approached me and asked, "Massage? Five euro." I said, "Heck yeah!" Actually, it was more like "Si! Si!" She threw down her massage blanket, gestured for me to hop on, and without warning she untied my bikini.
 
She hadn't even bought me dinner yet!
 
With three days and 30 miles of walking behind me, it was exactly what my neck, back and shoulders needed. It was honestly the best five euro I've spent so far. There's nothing like a rubdown on the beach overlooking the Mediterranean.
 
Next: When in Rome...

1 comment:

  1. The waterfront harboUr ... look at you, you're already European and all it took was a topless massage on the beach. You should have charged her 5 euro!

    ReplyDelete