Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Italian one-handed shower

Do you know the word for one-handed shower in Italian? I don't. But if I had to guess, I'd say "ridiculousioso."

Up until recently I never considered myself an obnoxious, spoiled American, but when it comes to showering in a hostel I guess I'm a brat.

Do Italians take a lot of baths? Because there was a shower head but it wasn't attached to the wall overhead. Who would take a bath in a hostel? I don't want to know. So I attempted the Italian shower. I had to turn the water on and off 400 million times (this is the sneaky way to make us conserve water, right?) and try a tricky one-handed maneuver in order to rinse my out shampoo.

It wasn't fun, but it was pretty entertaining.

I found a hot-pink loofah in the shower, too. Are the hostelers sharing? Gross.

It was worth the experience though. I can't really complain, because it makes me thankful for all the other normal showers in my travels, like the one where all the other people in the hostel like to walk in
and out of the bathroom 100 times while I'm in the shower.

So the one-handed shower I can handle but sleeping with the hostel's pet ferret, that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment