Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Do I go with teeny-tiny or the duct-taped monster?

Only four days out from full-body security scans and customs, and I have a big question to answer.

Do you know carry-on baggage on most of those sweet little "cheap" intra-European airlines cannot weigh more than 10 kilograms? All I have to say is Pssht!

If I have to limit myself to a 22-pound bag, that's like asking, "Why don't you just bring one pair of shoes?" or "Go ahead, leave the guidebooks at home. What do you need those things for anyway?"

I'm already getting one free checked bag on the international flights to and from
Europe, so taking a carry-on wouldn't save me money there, either.

What do I do? 


I have one teeny-tiny carry-on suitcase and one monster check-in suitcase with a big hole in the bottom of it. I have to pick one.


We've already established there's no cost advantage to taking the carry-on because it's going to cost me money to check it when it goes over 10 kilograms. Plus, that bag would limit my souvenir purchases to precious little Eiffel Towers and two-ounce Jameson shot glasses. I need more room than that!

That leaves me with the duct-tape option (though I may be cursing my decision as I drag the monster suitcase up flight after flight of stairs) or the new-purchase option.

So I went shopping. 


Will any of these do?

Mr. They-don't-pay-me-enough-to-wear-this-spiffy-red-vest found me in the aisle and looked at me like I was a kid in a candy store who'd just stuck my grubby hand in the licorice bin, took a lick and tossed it back.

He asked, "Are you buying all of these?"

I quickly said, "No, I promise to put them all back!" And I did because I just couldn't bring myself to swipe the plastic for a new bag. (BTW, Mr. MasterCard arrived. We're getting along perfectly, though I'm trying to use him sparingly.)

I re-evaluated the monster suitcase with a hole in it.

That can't be good.


Okay, I might come home minus a sweater or two.

So...
Ta-Da!

Do you think my cousins will be embarrassed to be seen with me? I know there's a redneck joke here somewhere, right?

See you at baggage claim!

No comments:

Post a Comment